Surgery is a medical speciality that uses operative manual and instrumental techniques to investigate and/or treat a pathological condition such as a disease or an injury, to help improve bodily function or appearance. Pre-operative and post-operative care comes together at the Department of General Surgery.
The department handles all major emergencies and planned surgical procedures including surgeries related to the pancreas, the liver and the bile duct.
UGs learn the subject through a combination of theory and practicals. A special highlight is the experience they earn through Operation Theatre procedures, wherein they are allowed to observe surgical procedures in an audio-visual room.
UGs are also taught basic surgical skills like suturing, knotting, venous cut down, catheterization, etc.
Undergraduate course —- M.B.B.S. (150 students in each batch)
The ultimate goal of surgical training is to make the student skilled competent surgical practitioner, leader, communicator, teacher and lifelong learner as depicted by National Medical council of India.
To achieve the required objectives following core competencies are taught to students for undergraduate course:
- Patient Care – compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of health problems and the promotion of health.
- Surgical residents are expected to critically evaluate and demonstrate knowledge of pertinent scientific information.
- Practice-Based Learning and Improvement that involves investigation and evaluation of their own patient care, appraisal, and assimilation of scientific evidence.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills that result in effective information exchange with patients and their families
- Professionalism as manifested through a commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles
- Systems-Based Practice–able to demonstrate an understanding of the role of different specialists and other health care professionals in overall patient management.
FACILITIES & LEARNING SOURCES OF THE DEPARTMENT:
The Department has department office, library and chambers for faculty along with a central conference room. There are two clinical demonstration rooms for undergraduate student with seating capacity of fifty students in each room. Audio visual teaching aids such as broadband connection, LCD projectors, laptops are used by the department faculty for imparting up to date surgical knowledge to the students. Department also has separate departmental library for postgraduate students and faculty members. Theoretical and practical knowledge is imparted to students besides bedside clinical skills demonstration.
The Department also has well equipped Skills lab for training undergraduate students. There are different anatomical models, mannequins and laparoscopic Endo trainer and suturing models to train the students.
The department has a well-established museum with the requisite pathological specimens ,collection of x-rays, instruments which are used in teaching both the undergraduates.
There are Four fully equipped & air-conditioned operation theatres dedicated to the department of surgery and are equipped with the state of the art equipment’s like ventilators, Bi/Unipolar & spray diathermy, C-arm imaging, laparoscopes, defibrillator, endoscopes etc. All diagnostic and therapeutic laparoscopies are performed by surgeons. Super specialties such as Urology and Neurosurgery considerably enhance the services provided to the patients.
The Department of Surgery always strives to nurture an intellectually motivated environment to cultivate a quest for knowledge and passion for surgery among the students with an ultimate aim of turning them into surgeons of par excellence and good human beings.